Monday, July 23, 2007

BOOK: The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty

Very cute young adult novel that I borrowed from the school library for the summer. The gimmick in the narrative is that the whole story is told from written works of the characters: Lydia's writing notebook, Cassie's diary, emails, and assorted letters between the three girl main characters and the three boys from the rival school they are given as 'penfriends'. The setting of Australia was just different enough, but at the same time, shows that teenagers are the same everywhere. There was lying, dates, pranks, revenge, love, loss, and growing up all around. Quite an enjoyable, light read.

3 comments:

  1. My nephew read this, this summer. He enjoyed it if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my faves! Her Feeling Sorry For Celia is really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... I knew I remembered this title. I have a signed copy of this from an English teachers convention I attended in my last year of teaching. Must be in one of the many boxes of books still back in Ohio, though, 'cause I haven't seen it on the shelves here in BC.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)