Friday, August 31, 2007

MEME: Booking Through Thursday



There was a widely bruited-about statistic reported last week, stating that 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Clearly, we don’t fall into that category, but . . . how many of our friends do? Do you have friends/family who read as much as you do? Or are you the only person you know who has a serious reading habit?
In my family, my parents both read; Dad carries a book any where he might be going around the house and Mom has always read mysteries and other types of books. My sister reads, not nearly as much as I do, but I think she reads a bit before bed every night. We trade books.
My husband reads a bit at night, but very slowly. I'm his dealer and I keep him supplied in books so he never picks his own books. He only reads what I give him. My son has to have a book to read before bed, but again, I'm his supplier for the most part. ie, he won't go to the library, he wants me to pick out books for him.
At work, there are a lot of readers and some read as much as me I imagine. There is often a pile of books for the taking in the staffroom, and I've mentioned before, our high school librarian orders books for teachers as well. I wasn't the only one getting a stack to read for the summer in June. I guess I am well surrounded by readers in my life. Aren't I lucky?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you are lucky. Very few of my friends read for fun and my husband is dyslexic, so he prefers not to read if he can help it. My parents do read, but I am definitely the anomaly. Again, you are lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in a very powerful position as supplier, Elizabeth. Think of the minds you can manipulate with your choices! Haha

    I don't often pick out books for my husband because he can be so picky. He does raid my TBR collection sometimes though and finds something he likes. It can be hit and miss with him though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm my husband's supplier... but both my parents are readers. My sister was always a reader, my brothers only later in life. My house is full of books, but mostly children and YA literature.
    But I also believe that the nature of reading has changed today. Many people read blogs, online newspaper, etc. For some reason it's not counted as real reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)