Friday, September 28, 2007

UPDATE: Classic Challenge

Kathrin hosted this summer version of booklogged's Winter Classic Challenge. I had a few books from a way long ago for the decades challenge I wanted to read, so I combined these two challenges. And I finished!
There seems to be so many of these classics that I haven't read. I don't think many are making my favorites list, but these books are classics for a reason, and while sometimes it feels like I'm reading them just to read them, it enhances my other modern reading, because these books are referenced and alluded to so much. I just finished The Thirteenth Tale, and I'm so glad I read Jane Eyre to get the connection. I would have enjoyed it regardless, but it added so much more.

The books I read were:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (1840s)
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (1890s)
O'Pioneers! - Willa Cather (1910s)
Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle (1900s)

Favorite Book: Jane Eyre and Hound of the Baskervilles I enjoy mysteries so Sherlock Holmes was good, but he's not better than Poirot.

Least Favorite: The Picture of Dorian Gray. The idea was great and I can see why people like it, but it just didn't do it for me.

Favorite Part of Challenge: Finishing a challenge is always satisfying, and combining this with the decades challenge was terrific. I also enjoyed reading along with the Literary Feline for Hound of the Baskervilles and Dorian Gray

Thanks Kathrin for putting this together. That's four classics off the list. I'm not sure which list exactly, but there must be one.

3 comments:

  1. Jane Eyre would have been my favorite had I read it for this challenge too. :-) It's one of my favorites.

    Like you, I can see why people like Oscar Wilde's book so much, but I did not find it all that satisfying. I am glad I read it though.

    Poirot all the way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read all four of those books at one time or another. I personally loved Dorian Gray, but I do know others that didn't. I was also pleasantly surprised with Willa Cather. I though O'Pioneers was a really great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wendycat - I named my Poppet I won from Carl, Christie, as in Agatha.

    stephanie - I don't know how I hadn't read those books before, especially Jane Eyre. And I've liked the classics so far, but haven't loved any of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)