Sunday, January 20, 2008

CHALLENGE: Jane Austen Mini Challlenges

I haven't read a lot of Austen, but I think I might like the television shows. I watched Northanger Abbey tonight on PBS, and it was quite marvelous. Henry Tilman was perfect, and the actor who played him was ideal. I read Northanger Abbey last year for the Classics Challenge (winter)and I quite preferred it to Pride and Prejudice. I liked the humor as Austen pokes fun with her so very naive heroine and the hero who understands her perfectly, right from the start.


Look what I found at Becky's Cardathon blog. You have to picture the little smirk just behind those eyes of Henry Tilman's. Now I have a better memory of the show.

Here's the review I originally wrote last February for Northanger Abbey.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

I had planned to read Emma for the Challenge, but I never got into it, and it was too long. I decided to try Northanger Abbey on dailylit.com and I am glad I did. I ended up getting it from the library because I wanted to finish it more quickly, by the end of February.

I found this much more humorous as Austen seemed to be making fun of the social niceties of the day and also of her other novels,or at least other novels of that time. This is the story of Catherine, our heroine as she is directly called, as she matures and grows up to find love. She is sweetly naive and is confused by all the double talk of other characters. She assumes that people mean what they say and that isn't the case at all. She gradually becomes more careful of what she says and what she believes of others. Of course, there is a gentleman who recognizes her sweet charm and is the object of her affection. And it turns out well. Of course.
I really liked this one, more than Pride and Prejudice, and quite enjoyed the tale.


They did a marvelous job of bringing the book to life, including the imaginings as Catherine lets the novel Udolpho take over her imagination.


5 comments:

  1. While I was watching Northanger Abbey tonight I thought that there were many of us all watching this tonight. Then I thought specifically of you and figured you had watched it hours before I had and were probably already gone to bed.

    I had heard some disparaging remarks about Northanger Abbey so I didn't know quite what to expect, but I loved it. And I agree wholeheartedly about Henry Tilman. He was divine. I think I switched my heart-throbbing from Mr. Darcy to Henry. What a wonderful face, those dimples and his eyes with there sense of humor.

    Delightful post, Raidergirl. It was fun to read someone's else feelings about the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet read Northanger Abbey, but definitely will get to it one day. I will probably wait to see the movie until after reading the book. I've enjoyed all the film adaptations of the Jane Austen books I have read so far and one I haven't (Sense and Sensibility). I'm really looking forward to Northanger Abbey after your review of both the book and the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming to my blog too and leaving your comments - I was thinking of you too and wondering how many of us were watching! I loved Henry Tilman, he has a sense of humour, which definitely Mr Darcy is missing! Very rare in most of the male characters indeed. But I think I still prefer Mr Darcy......so you liked Northanger Abbey book better than Pride and Prejudice the book?
    What do you think about Mansfield Park? I am anxiously awaiting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. booklogged - I'm glad you loved it too. He was divine! We probably watched at the same time. I'm looking forward to the next show.

    wendy- I'm like the weirdo Austen reader - hardly anyone knows/likes NA, but it's the only one I've seen, and I've only other read P&P, unless I count Bridget Jones, which I do!

    susan - yes, I preferred Northanger Abbey to P&P. But I may prefer movie Mr Darcy (because it's Colin Firth) to the albeit adorable JJ Fields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first week I *fell* for Captain Wentworth. This past Sunday I *fell* for Henry Tilney. I just loved, loved, loved the movie Northanger Abbey. I really don't think there could be a better Mr. Tilney out there. I didn't know the character was so swoon-worthy until watching it :) I don't know if you followed all the links in my review. But there is one website I linked to that has SCREEN CAPS for the movie. And have you played around on the "Men of Austen" page of the Masterpiece Theatre site. Quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)