Monday, February 25, 2008

BOOK: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

In the Pub '08

What if you were in an accident and woke up 3 years later? Only, not really 3 years later, but 3 years earlier in your life? Lexi Smart, a twenty-eight year old Londoner wakes up and discovers she isn't the person she thought she was. Lexi, like Becky the Shopaholic, is a little too obsessed with money and looks, but now she has them and she isn't quite sure how she got them. This book is her discovery of who she has become in the past three years, and getting to know the people in her life and her new high powered job.

Kinsella hasn't lost her touch, and I quite enjoyed this book. I find the Shopaholic series a little too silly sometimes, but Lexi is more realistic. The Undomestic Goddess was very good and funny, but the setup was a little contrived. I think she's got it altogether here. Kinsella does a great job with the plot, giving a few details here and there, interesting characters and then wrapping it all up. The process poor Lexi goes through in trying to remember her life, and wondering who to believe, as she must rely on others to tell her about her life. And many people take this opportunity to tell her the way they probably wish things were, which doesn't help her recover her real life.

This has the makings of a great romantic comedy- I can see Hugh Grant or Colin Firth as one of the men, maybe Jennifer Garner as Lexie, and the plot would unfold humorously. You read it here first!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like loads of fun. I agree with you about The Domestic Goddess and Sophie Kinsella, in general. I'll have to look for this one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bookfool - it was loads of fun. I'd say a Kinsella fan wouldn't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this one, but it has arrived at my library yet. Good thing I found out about it early and placed a hold - there are 102 people on the waiting list! I'm #15, hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tiny ll - 15 of 102? wow. I hope you use the one week loan for popular books like my library does. I was #18 for The Road and it took months to get. I'm not slagging libraries! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the first few Shopaholic books and I quite enjoyed them. I need to finish off the series as well as read the other two books by her I have sitting on my shelf. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one. I've been eying it but reminding myself I have others to get to first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we have 24 copies of it, so I was among the first to get it when it arrived. Just finished it and it was fun! You're right about its movie potential, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tll - 24 copies? wow. I looked my library up, and we have 5 copies with 41`requests. I think it's my favorite book of hers, as I've thought about it afterwards, especially after finishing Shopaholic and Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked this book, but hated the ending, it was so incomplete. And I like Sophie Kinsella's other books, here's to hoping there is a sequel to tie up those loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's my review of this book:

    http://agirlwalksintoabookstore.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-remember-me-by-sophie-kinsella.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)