Friday, February 15, 2008

BOOK: So Long, Jackie Robinson by Nancy Russell

So Long, Jackie Robinson by Nancy Russell
hometown challenge, young adult challenge
I read this on the recommendation of my ten year old son. I gave him this book for Christmas as he's a real sports nut, and the book was written by an Islander. My Jack loves baseball, so this book about the year Jackie Robinson spent in Montreal before breaking into the majors in 1947 was perfect for him. It had lots of baseball, a little history and a story about fitting in when you feel or look different.
Matthew has just moved to Montreal after his mother has remarried, doesn't speak French, and has no friends. As he finds the ball stadium, and follows Jackie Robinson's entry into the majors, he begins to make some friends, learn about racism, and adjust to the changes in his life. I thought this was a good book, well written, and enjoyable. I just bought Russell's other young adult book for my son, Rink of Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. I just think it's really cool that you read a book because your ten-year-old son recommended it!! Tres awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stephanie - So many books he's read I've already read, so this was a change. He's got another one I gave him for Christmas I'd like to read - Schooled by Gordon Korman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the same books my daughter has read. She has a list for me. I don't know when I'll get them all read. She has a much better memory and can still remember the characters when I finally do read the book. So I can discuss it with her. If it was the other way around, I wouldn't have a clue what she was talking about. That has happened actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great, and I've kept your review because I want to read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)