Thursday, February 7, 2008

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY: But enough about books...

Okay, even I can’t read ALL the time, so I’m guessing that you folks might voluntarily shut the covers from time to time as well… What else do you do with your leisure to pass the time? Walk the dog? Knit? Run marathons? Construct grandfather clocks? Collect eggshells?

I am discovering as I age, that I can only sustain one hobby at a time: I have cross-stitched, then crocheted, then I was scrapbooking, then I took up running, and now I am reading. It's not that I only do one thing at a time, but one activity gets my focus. I have always read but not with the ferocity that I am now, and I still make cards occassionally, - quicker than scrapbooking. But one hobby seems to take over my life at a time.

I don't seem to have a lot of other time, what with three kids and a full time job. And unfortunately, my job require me to work at home, correcting blasted tests and physics labs and making up tests and review sheets. I watch TV and play on the computer - blogging, Webkinz, games. I can do both at the same time since our computer is in the same room as the television, so that's handy. The writer's strike is helping with my TV watching, but I still watch quite a bit. I like The Amazing Race, Survivor, Supernanny, Lost, Law &Order, SVU, A Daily Show, Ed's Up, House, American Idol, Criminal Minds (but it is almost too creepy, I can't watch without doing something else to distract me). And shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I'll watch Big Brother, although I think it's a summer show, I'm not sure if I can do it in the winter. Shows I like that aren't on right now: The Office, Brothers and Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, Cold Case.

14 comments:

  1. WOW! How did you do that? You had a note for the google readers...and I come to your site (very nice, btw) and look for the note and it's not there. Spooky. :-)

    http://trishsdiary.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under 'settings', in 'customize', there is a category of 'site feed' and it gives you the option of leaving a message, but it is only on the feeds. Cool, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got amazing hobbies. I am learning play the keyboard!

    BTW, you have been tagged for book meme page 123.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psst, I LOVE Big Brother too!

    I am also a huge Survivor, Idol and Lost fan (watching Lost right now and simultaneously enthralled but confused)...

    =) Jill
    http://mrstreme.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. gautami tripathy - I once tried to learn to play piano - didn't go so well, I am quite music illiterate.
    I'll get to the meme, maybe tomorrow.

    jill - Oh, so confused about Lost, but I love it. My son loves Survivor and Idol and TAR, do your boys enjoy the reality shows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do have a lot to juggle, but it sounds like you still make time for fun in there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to only make cards as I need them. I really would like to stockpile and be really inspired and just produce finished cards but that isn't what is happening at the moment!

    BTW, I have tagged you for a meme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do that too. One hobby gets most of my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. three kids, sounds like me! Sometimes I wonder if I can go without some sleep,but then everyone suffers the next day, and since the youngest is 3, it tends to make for very bad mornings rushing around to get out of the house on time. i have always loved reading, so most of my other hobbies are things to do when I don't read, as the meme suggested! I've posted the meme too on my site....your kids like the reality shows? My eldest doesn't - he likes almost everything on Space channel instead. I have to watch yesterday's lost still, I will let you know how i find it (waiting for said eldest to get up so we can see it together....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We watch a lot of the same shows! I just started watching Criminal Minds but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wendy - true, and I am one of those people who look after themselves and make time for fun

    marg - that is my plan too, but it never seems to work out. I didn't even make Christmas cards this year, but I put on a session at school on making Christmas cards

    chris - it just sneaks up on me and suddenly I haven't scrapped or run in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. susan - my son loves sports, so the competitive aspect of the shows appeals to him, especialy the challenges on Survivor. I definitely don't get enough sleep, when The Daily show doesn't come on until midnight here. Lost, is just crazy, how the show will all of a sudden veer off in a new direction with new characters

    tink - Criminal Minds is very good. they changed a major character this year, bringing in Montenga, and it hasn't missed a beat. But it is soo creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Criminal minds is too creepy for me. I've tried watching several episodes, and while I like all the characters, it is creepy to see the evil they write about.
    On the other hand, Lost is getting weird! I made a comment on someone else's website that I think the writers keep coming up with great - superb characters that they then have to try to fit in. Wouldn't ghost guy (psychic guy) have been handy from the beginning? Although he probably would have gone mad with all the ghosts right after the crash.....I hate Ben so much! he's so creepy and annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth - to answer your question, my boys like Survivor and Big Brother, but their favorite is American Gladiators!!!

    =) Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)