Sunday, February 24, 2008

CHALLENGE: Science Book Challenge

There's another challenge I hope to participate in, the Science Book Challenge, hosted by Bearcastle.

Here are The Rules to the challenge:

1. Read three nonfiction books this year related to the theme "Living a Rational Life", broadly construed. Each book should have something to do with science, how science operates, or science's relationship with its surrounding culture. The books might be popularizations of science, they might be history, they might be biography, they might be anthologies.
2. After you've read it, write a short note about the book; 500 words would suffice. What goes in the note? The things you would tell a friend if you wanted to convince said friend to read it, too. Naturally, you can read some of the existing
Book Notes for ideas.Don't worry if you find that you've read a book someone else has also read; we welcome multiple notes on one title.
3. Get your book note to me and I'll post it with the other Book Notes in that section at
Science Besieged.
4.Tell two other people about The Science-Book Challenge.
I'm not completely sure what books I'll read, but as a science teacher, I should be reading science books, so I'll think of this as a bit of professional development, as well as a reading challenge.
Book List:
2. The Planets - Dava Sobel
3. The Trouble With Physics - Lee Smolin

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to skip this challenge. I hope it comes around again, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)