Thursday, March 13, 2008

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY: Playing Editor

Suggested by John :


How about a chance to play editor-in-chief? Fill in the blanks:
__________ would have been a much better book if ______________________.


I am trying to think of a book I haven't liked, or that could have been better. This question sort of goes with dewey's meme, that I am thinking about answers for. It's hard, because I can usually recognize why I don't like a book, and maybe the changes I would suggest would change the book too much. The author made their creative decision for a reason, and other people may have liked the book for exactly that reason.

I've thought of one:
On the Road would have been a much better book if Jack Kerouac hadn't been completely stoned when he wrote it. At least I assume he was stoned, it's the only thing that can explain the ramblings.

5 comments:

  1. haven't read The Road, but I will at some point. great TTB!

    Happy Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, some authors can't write unless they are stoned! Thats what I tink!

    LOL!

    Here is my BTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! I like your answer! Someone commented on my blog...The Almost Moon would have been a much better book if I never actually read it and just admired the cover.

    LOL...what would I do without people like you and this girl to make me laugh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atlas Shrugged would've been a much better book if Ayn Rand had had an editor and publisher with some cojones who weren't afraid to tell her to "clean that [mess] up and DON'T come back until you have a nice clean rewrite." Ayn Rand desperately needed an editor like Maxwell Perkins.

    Good response about JK. and OTR.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)