Wednesday, August 6, 2008

BOOK: Mama Makes Up Her Mind by Bailey White

Mama Makes Up Her Mind by Bailey White

southern reading challenge 2008

I read Quite a Year for Plums by White last year, so when I saw this book at a used book sale I snapped it up. I've been picking at it slowly for the whole challenge. White is a grade one teacher who lives with her mother and she has written a series of essays about her life, some from when she was young, some about her mother (a real character!) and her colorful family. My favorite ones were about her grade one classroom, but the whole book is sweet and amusing. The lady who tamed the alligator, her mother who baths and sleeps on the front porch, the taxidermist who learns to cook. White has a pleasant and southern style, perfect for steamy afternoons reading on the front porch.