Wednesday, October 1, 2008

CHALLENGE: Genre Challenge



samantha at bookworms and tea lovers is hosting this fun looking challenge, with a variety of genres to choose books from.

November 1, 2008 – November 1, 2009

The goal: To read one book in the following genres.
Here's a list of potential reads, all subject to change.

crime fiction - drop
detective fiction - Voices - Arnaldur Indridason Dec 22/08
mystery fiction - Three Bags Full -Leonie Swann Jan 27/09
horror fiction - Lisey's Story - Stephen King Dec 30/08
thriller fiction - Too Close to Home - Linwood Barclay, Nov 11/08
romance fiction - Heart and Soul - Maeve Binchy, Dec 11/08
science fiction - The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau 02/23
action/adventure fiction - Gentlemen of the Road - Michael Chabon, Nov 29/08
fantasy fiction - Book of 1000 Days by Shannon Hale Jan 13/09
realistic fiction - drop
historical fiction -Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende Feb 6/09
western fiction - Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale Jun 21/09

Specific definitions of these genres can be found in this post.

There are three options if you want to join:
A: Read 10 books, drop the genre you read the most and one of your own choosing
B: Read 11 books, drop the genre you read the most
C: Read 12 books

I think I'll do A, dropping my most usual read - realistic fiction, and also crime fiction. That leaves 10 books to read, a reasonable number for a challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Could Around the World in 80 Days be an action/adventure fiction? I've lent it to Mom, so it's there if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. c - I'm sure it could. I'll get it from her. You liked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just saw your 2nd comment on my Friday Finds blog tonight--about the Maeve Binchy book. I saw the release date on Amazon and thing it must be the U.S. release date--I know it has been released in Europe and now it sounds like Canada--boo hoo! I hate having to wait!
    Your genre list looks great by the way--I have joined too and had a great time picking books.
    Have fun--
    *smiles*
    Kim
    (page after page)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like it. It was a quick read too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your book selections! I have "Voices" on my shelf but I was saving it to read around Christmas time since the plot involves a murdered Santa Claus. =)

    And "Well of Lost Plots" is awesome (which you probably already know if you're reading Fforde). AND I'm in the middle of reading (sort of - it's a long story) "Three Bags Full." Those sheep are hilarious though at the moment it's kind of dragging in the middle.

    I love this challenge. I wonder if I should join. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm glad you're doing this one, too!

    My book club did the Courtesan book a few years ago and I really liked it.

    I was thinking of doing Three Bags Full as my mystery, too! But the library one won out. But I'll definitely be reading the sheep one eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)