Sunday, June 28, 2009

BOOK: Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, 548 pages

Man Booker short list 2002; Orange Prize Project; Orange July

setting: Victorian England, 1862, the hard-scrabble life in inner London and the gentle life on an estate

characters: Sue Trindle, Maud Lilly, Mrs Sucksby, and Gentleman (I can't give a description because no one is exactly who they say they are, maybe)

plot: no one likes spoilers and this book is so well plotted I am afraid to say anything for fear I'll say too much.

fingersmith: petty thief, or may also refer to someone who has mastered a skill involving the use of his or her fingers. (ooh, excellent title!)

themes: nature v nurture, sacrifices, betrayals.

what I liked: Victorian times, the plot and the twists, the cover, the overall tone of suspense in the book and the relationships amongst the characters.

what I didn't like: it was a little long, but I still couldn't put it down.

who else liked it: it was shortlisted for both the Orange Prize and the Man Booker in 2002



7 comments:

  1. The Fingersmith is one of my favourite books. You are right - it is so difficult to write anything about it without giving anything away.

    It is so clever and packed with great twists - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this author and her books and have been meaning to pick this one up. Thanks for reminding me about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read more Sarah Waters. I read The Night Watch and that is it, but I have plenty of choices on my TBR pile. I should get around to her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has been sitting on a book shelf just waiting to be read. I really must get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to read this for the GLBT challenge. I have read a few reviews recently and it sounds great. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you set up your reviews. Quick. Simple. To the Point. But they still tell you enough about the book to get interested. I'd like to invite you to be a guest reviewer for my own blog. (It's exciting I promise). Please check it out at the link below. If you are interested please email me. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Miss Remmers

    http://reagan-review.blogspot.com/2009/06/looking-for-guest-reviewers.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)