Wednesday, July 15, 2009

BOOK: I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn

I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn, 170 pages

Orange July

Amy Adams was Amelia Earhart in Night at the Museum 2, and I was enchanted by her - both Amy and her portrayal of Amelia. I even got that sense of Earhart - that broad from the 1930s, doing her own thing in a world of men, in the book.

The premise of the book is to explain, in first and third person - sometimes at the same time, what happened to Amelia Earhart when she and her plane disappeared with her navigator in 1937. At times charming, this little book had the potential to be a loved book, but this time, it was just good. Maybe I read it at the wrong time or place, and that would be at the soccer pitch, because on another day, I might have loved it. I liked Amelia, and her strength. She was a bit reckless. The writing was poetic, with lovely images and metaphors. If you have an hour or two, this was a great little dip into the imagined past.

4 comments:

  1. I read this book. While I didn't love it, I still did enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice in books. I agree - timing and place can have a lot to do with the enjoyment level of a book.

    I totally feel my lack of interest in Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is because I devoted myself to only reading it at the gym while on the treadmill....

    a classic read deserves more - like a comfy rocker and lots of hot tea and scones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really interesting to me - I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting. I added it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)