Friday, October 23, 2009

LIST: Top 10 Atlantic Canadian books


Chris at book-a-rama posted this List, that was found here, on her Friday Bookish Buzz. Nimbus Publishing picked the books based on the votes of more than 700 authors, critics, librarians, professors, booksellers, and readers. This is an awesome list of Atlantic Canadian books. I've read 7 of them, and they are among my favorite books of all time. Only two I haven't heard of, but I plan to do some investigating and fill in my local reading gaps.

The top-10 titles are:

1. No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod
2. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
3. The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston* I have it here and hope to read it soon
4. The Mountain and the Valley by Ernest Buckler
5. Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
6. Barometer Rising by Hugh MacLennan
7. Random Passage by Bernice Morgan
8. The Lost Salt Gift of Blood by Alistair MacLeod
9. Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards
10. Rockbound by Frank Parker Day


If you are looking for a great Canadian book to read, this is a good place to start. I recommend all the highlighted books, and I know that John Mutford at the book mine set would also recommend The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get Rockbound... I hated that book! It is a classic, though... Otherwise, I own the entire list! lol Some I have read, while others I will read in this century... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 5 - not bad for a non-Canadian. I really liked Colony of Unrequited Dreams, too. Looking forward to your reviews on the ones you haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kailana - good to know about Rockbound, I've never heard of it before. I think I can get it on audio CDs at the library, but I won't be in any rush.

    booklogged - but you are honourary Canadian! that's why you've read so many already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 10 (so I guess we're tied!)

    Good list. I'd be curious to see all 100 (not $24.95 curious, but curious nonetheless). How high did House of Hate and Latitudes of Melt rank? Did Michael Crummey make the list?

    I'm surprised not to see any non-fiction in the top 10 (Cassie Brown's Death on the Ice, for me).

    I wonder if any litbloggers were asked to vote-- definitely should have been.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)