Sunday, September 12, 2010

BOOK: Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, 284 pages

RIV V; Suspense and Thriller Challenge

I've never watched Dexter, but I think maybe I should start. This was a really fun book, perfect for the Readers Imbibing Peril V Challenge. The best person to catch serial killers would be a person who understands their mind - a serial killer himself! That's what Dexter Morgan does - crime scene investigator, blood-splatter expert by day, serial killer by night, but only killing the bad people. He is detached, as any good sociopath/psychopath should be, not able to relate to normal people, but is smart enough to recognize the steps he needs to go through (girlfriend, nothing flashy lifestyle, wave to neighbours) to not draw attention to himself. The word play and quick repartee are very well done. I can't wait to read the next in the series, Dearly Devoted Dexter, and I've bookmarked the season 1 DVD at the library.