Sunday, June 26, 2011

BOOK: Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones

Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, 266 pages

What's in a Name 3: jewelry or gem in title

I should have read this when I was a child, but then again, I didn't read much fantasy type stories. Diana Wynne Jones wrote an afterward in 2001, twenty-five years after Charmed Life was written, explaining how she came to write it.  Reading this now, after Harry Potter and the magical phenomena in books, it's easy to see that this must have been an inspiration for JK Rowling.

Overall, it was okay. I'm glad to have read a DWJ book, but don't imagine I'll read another in this series. Without having read it as a child, it didn't appeal to me in the way that Harry Potter did. But then I'm not a big fantasy reader in the first place. I'll put this one where my kids might find it.