Wednesday, October 5, 2011

BOOK: Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, 307 pages

2nds Challenge; Aussie Author Challenge

It's not officially a RIP book for me, but if ever I was imbibing Peril, it was while  reading a book about the plague, the black plague in a 1666 English village. People dropping left and right of a horrible death. Plus, as is often in these types of books (or movies, like Titanic) so many ways to die.

Brooks did her homework and the story is filled with historical aspects. Apparently, the book was conceived after Brooks visited the village that this book is based on, where a plague outbreak occurred. The villagers decided, in the novel based on the legend, to quarantine their village once the outbreak began, to prevent the spread, but taking their own chance for survival. It's pretty bleak, but the main character, Anna Firth manages to stay healthy and provides medical care for many in the village.
Well written historical fiction, with a dash of peril for the season.

also reviewed: laura at musings by laura (who found the ending far-fetched); sandy at You've Gotta read this;
Jackie at farmlanebooks; les at lesley's book nook;

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Laura, the ending was really contrived and silly. However, I did find the historical aspects quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on the TBR but have never gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one pre-blogging but I can still remember it to this day. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)