Tuesday, March 26, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Recommend The Most




The topic for Top Ten Tuesday today is the books I recommend the most. A lot of factors go in to offering a book as a recommendation, especially knowing the type of books that the other person already likes to read. Not everyone likes mysteries, but those who do should try Indridason or Deon Meyer for some international type. Mostly, recommended books are very readable with a catchy plot. I'm all about a great story.
Check out The Broke and the Bookish for more Top Ten Lists.

1. Pope Joan by
Great historical fiction full of adventure and women doing cool sneaky stuff, like learning and helping and leading people.


2. Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
I sent this one around the staff room last year and everyone liked it - male and female. Plus, it's a beautiful cover.


3. Quiet by Susan Cain
Highly recommended for all introverts, and even those who aren't. Hey, that's pretty much everyone. I listened to this one on audiobook, and loved it. It's good for teachers of introverts as well.




4. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman (just read this weekend)
I'm only beginning my mission of spreading the word about this one, but I gave it to a colleague the day after I finished it.


5. Arnaldur Indridason's Icelandic mystery series
I recommend this for mystery fans as something a little different with the Iceland setting. I've gotten a few readers hooked on the series.


6. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Such a great nonfiction narrative I feel safe recommending this to anyone. Very engaging, with all the aspects that Skloot covers.


7. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The sweetest romance you can read. It has British village, family fights, aging, and immigration.



8. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeiffer
This is a young adult book, but the suddenness of the incident (the moon is struck by an asteroid) and the ensuing effect on Earth will stay with you as a scary possibility. 




9. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Oh, Ishiguro will take you in and break your heart. This is a gem.




10. Clara Callan by Richard Wright
It's the books that sneak up on you when you have no idea what they are about that I find are the ones I want to recommend. Clara was such a book.