Sunday, July 24, 2016

CHALLENGE: Pin It and Do It

Is Pin It and Do It still at thing at Trish's Love, Laughter and Insanity? Cause I have been all over it this summer! Eh, even if it isn't, I'm pretending it is so I can share these two salads.



Since my sixteen year old daughter decided to become a vegetarian, I've created a board called Vegetarian Ideas. She likes hummus and black beans, and we now that brocolli and peas are a source of protein, as is quinoa. She also likes fish when it's breaded. We don't all eat vegetarian, but we are having vegetarian meals now and then, or bbq'ing her veggie dogs while we have our hams and hots. 

This salad, called Rainbow Quinoa Salad with Tahini Ginger Dressing was good on a few levels. It held up in the fridge for quite a few days (makes a lot if you follow the directions) and was hearty and healthy. The rainbow part is corn, red pepper, broccoli, red cabbage and carrot. There's enough protein for a meal on its own, or as a side for the meat eaters. Will make again.


Quite a few years ago I had a fattoush salad at a local Lebanese restaurant and I just loved it. It's been on my mind for a while and then I found it on pinterest, here's the link. Score! It's pretty basic salad - romaine, tomatoes, radish, and a few ingredients for the dressing that I did need to get. Sumac spice and a pomengranate molasses are the flavours that really make this salad tasty. I left out the dried mint but I happened to have some fresh in the fridge. A little lemon juice, little olive oil. The other unique part of the salad is the pita chips - sort of a crouton. Overall, I will definitely be making this salad again.


If there is no more Pin It and Do It, then let's say it is for Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads. I've always wanted to do one of these as I love to read other posts each week. 

Please do visit Weekend Cooking for lots more food related postings. 
wkendcooking.jpg