Friday, February 16, 2007

MEME: Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday


  1. Love stories? Yes or No? I like a love story, but not all the time. And it has to be good; I don't like very many tragic love stories. Romeo and Juliet? no. Anne and Gilbert? a thousand times yes. Heathcliff and Cathy? no. Bridget and Mark Darcy? yes, indeed ( oh dear, I must confess to only recently reading Pride and Prejudice, so recently that I haven't been immersed in their love story. I have the Colin Firth love going, but not the original Mark Darcy. I do plan to read P&P again, because I hate to be left out of a cultural phenomenom.)
  2. If yes, "romances" as a genre? Or just, well, stories that have love stories? (Nobody's going to call "Pride & Prejudice" a "romance," right?) I don't think I've ever read a Harlequin romance, or romance story per se. But I adore the love stories in the books mentioned: Anne of Green Gables and Bridget Jones. And books like Clan of the Cave Bear, or Outlander with Clare and Jamie have a love story that I have to keep reading. To summarize: No to romances as a genre, yes to stories with love stories. I think I will have to make a list of books with my favorite love stories in it because I haven't put enough thought into love stories and I know there are more that I want to remember.

2 comments:

  1. You and I agree on this one! I had forgotten about Outlander...YES, great love story immersed within historical fiction (as I remember, that book and series was originally sold and shelved in the Romance section of the bookstores!).

    I also went over to your other adventures in reading site and left a comment under your classics challenge! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Wuthering Heights and thought it was a weird twisted love story. So agree with you there! Back to my next Anne and Gilbert story...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)