Sunday, March 16, 2008

BOOK: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Young Adult Challenge, Cardathon, another Something About Me

Melinda had just started high school, but she is an outcast. A party over the summer has drastically changed her life, and caused her to lose her friends. She tries to fit in, tries to survive, but she is finding it hard to find the works to express herself. This book follows her first year of high school.

This was touching, and heart breaking, and a very good book. Anderson puts into words the agony of high school, and dealing with teachers who are only concerned with school and forget that there can be a whole world of issues that the students are dealing with and algebra isn't even on their radar. I appreciated that reminder every now and then, and it will help when I can't understand why they are not as fascinated by projectiles as I am.

This is an excellent young adult book, covering big issues, but in a very humanizing way. At less than 230 pages, it is a quick read that I recommend. I can see why it is so popular.

5 comments:

  1. I've got this book on my wishlist at Bookmooch...I sure wish someone would hurry up and put theirs on there! :-) (not you, necessarily)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good-off to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. trish - I had a library book. sorry

    sam - it is good, and gives great insight into young people's behaviour and thought processes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it very much, too. Great review here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)