Thursday, March 20, 2008

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY: The End

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?
(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)


When I used to do most of my reading in bed, I would fall asleep after finishing a book. Now that I am reading more places, and writing book reviews for your enjoyment and mine, I don't like finishing a book in bed because:

1. I'm too keyed up after finishing a book. When I read and fall asleep, it's relaxing. When I'm just about finished a book, I'm awake, and racing to the end. That was always a problem. I've discovered I prefer finishing a book in the daylight because...

2. I go right to the computer to write my review as soon as I finish the book so I can...

3. Start another book right away. The excitement of deciding what my next adventure will be, where I will go next, is a great feeling.

4. I very seldom read the next book in a series immediately after a book. Even a book I really enjoy, I need a break from, to build up the anticipation of the next in the series.

5 comments:

  1. I too feel the same way! Who has the time to muse over a book?!

    :D

    Booking upto ending

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about it until now, But I don't like finishing a book in bed either. In my case I think it's because that means I will have to start something new over breakfast before my mind is really alert enough to deal with all the information that is normally found in the first few pages of a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gautami - exactly!

    table talk - It's been a recent discovery for me. I haven't started a new book at breakfast before - I get caught up with the newspaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I head right for the computer to write a review too!

    I played too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all your points, but especially #3 and #4. Great answer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)