Saturday, October 4, 2008

BOOK: Who Killed Palomino Molero? by Mario Vargas Llosa

Who Killed Palomino Molero? by Mario Vargas Llosa, 150 pages

around the world reading: Peru

While browsing the library aisles for V authors, I found this little mystery set in Peru, 1950s. I am going to finish that A - Zed reading challenge this year! For those readers who like a short little mystery, this would be perfect for the 24 Hour read-a-thon, also for a peek at Peruvian life. As a part of my reading around the world, I am looking for mysteries when I can, a favorite genre but from other worldly points of view.

Two local Guardia police investigate the brutal torture and murder of a member of the local Air Force base. The deceased was from the local area, and I didn't completely understand the nuances of the class structure in Peru, in regards to locals, Air Force, and the town folk, but it was easy to see who was considered the lower level society. The police were not well supported, for example, they didn't have a vehicle, and had to walk or use the local taxi driver to get to places.

This isn't very long, so the mystery is not that complicated, but it was well written, and slowly more facts came out. There was nice balance between the police and their lives, the locals and their interactions, and the suspects. It's a stand-alone mystery from what I can see, which is too bad, because I would have liked to read another mystery with Lt Silva and Officer Lituma.