Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CHALLENGE: Paris in July

BookBath and Thyme For Tea have decided to come together to host a blogging experience to celebrate [their] love of all things French and Parisian - "Paris In July".

There will be no rules or targets in terms of how much you need to do or complete in order to be a part of Paris In July - just blog about anything French and you can join in. Some ideas for the month might include;

- Reading a French book - fiction or non-fiction
- Watching a French movie
- Listening to French music
- Cooking French food
- Experiencing French art, architecture or travel

What a great idea! I won't get to Paris anytime soon, so a virtual tour will have to do.

I am hoping to read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I picked it up on the lending shelf in the library. I know, you are wondering, what shelf isn't a lending shelf in the library? The library I am talking about is a high school library, full of young adult novels. We teachers have created our own lending library shelf back in the AV room, where we can place our own books, and then just borrow on our honour.

Other interesting ideas - a mystery by Fred Vargas, Gourmet Rhapsody, Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier.
Maybe a movie? I've seen Amelie, and The Advocate; what's another recent/well-known French movie I haven't seen? I meant to see Coco. A rewatching of Moulin Rouge perhaps?
Ratatoullie, La Vie en Rose

As for food, I'm sure I can manage some French toast and French fries or poutine - but maybe that only counts as French-Canadian?

I'll make my son practice his French while school is out so when he gets back to his immersion class in September, he'll still be familiar.

Ce que j'ai fait:
1. Read Death in the Truffle Wood by Pierre Magnan (A Mystery in Provence)
2. Read short story by Emil Zola: The Death of Olivier Becaille
3.  Read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky 
4. Read Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
5. watched "Ratatouille" the Pixar movie