Saturday, March 2, 2013

BOOKS: February Reads

http://blogdelanine.blogspot.ca/2012/02/february-desktop-calendar.html

Some months I get more reviewed than others. Some months I don't. Those months get posts like this, with short thoughts. Short month, short thoughts! perfect

Best books: Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin, and I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I've Ever Had by Tony Danza.



7. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, 254 pages

Orange Prize shortlist 2006 The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

A little confusing in the time line for me, several different stories which all connected up. Survivors of the Holocaust, writers, an obscure book. Many readers love this book and I can see why, but it didn't quite wow me.





8.  Lola's Secret - Monica McInerney  see review


9. Dressing Up for the Carnival by Carol Shields, 210 pages

Canadian Book Challenge

There was a chapter from Unless; a while story without the letter I, (but inexplicably with one word that did - did it ever stand out!). This was an okay collection with a few stories that are sticking with me, other than those two. I enjoy them as I read them, but some really get into the writing process and if I were an English major, I'd probably love.



 
10. The Calculus Diaries: How Math Can Help You Lose Weight, Win in Vegas, and Survive a Zombie Apocalypse by Jennifer Ouellette, 310 pages The Calculus Diaries - Jennifer Ouellette

Sadly, much less about calculus than I expected, but the author takes very different life situations, and shows how math or calculus could be used to apply. She writes in an easy style, and explains the science and math and why they are useful. Lots of history, and I'd easily recommend it to people.




11. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin, 461 pages

Twelfth century England is always a fun time - lots of political history, and the church. Reminds me of the Brother Cadfael books, but a little less cozy. A 'doctor of death' is brought over from Italy to clear the Jews of Oxford from the deaths of some children. She has to fight many prejudices clearly, but also develops a romance. It was involved, had a great mystery, was gory, and a romance. Excellent historical mystery!






12. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith see review

13. I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had - Tony Danza see review


14. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainain - Marina Lewycka, 235 pages
 2005 Orange shortlist

Not at all what I was expecting, but it was a darkly humorous good book. Two women get involved when their widowed father brings a young gold digger to England from Ukraine and marries her. One daughter was born before the second world war in Ukraine, the other was born in England after the war, and their vastly different family situations colours how they view their parents and each other. Eventually more of their family history before and during the war is revealed.





15. The Black Ice - Michael Connelly, 368 pages Harry Bosch #2

Harry is not invited to investigate the suicide of a fellow cop in LA, but when would that stop Harry? Harry Bosch continues his lone wolf style of investigating, annoying his bosses, meeting the ladies, and searching for some peace in his soul.
Bosch is a easy reading series, with a great main character, good intricate plots. Connelly has written almost twenty books in this series, plus 2 or 3 other interlocking series.