Monday, December 14, 2015

#AMonthofFaves: Reading Outside My Comfort Zone – Surprise Find(s) This Year


A Month of FavesTop 10 Tuesday

Join hosts  GirlxoxoTraveling with T and Estella’s Revenge in looking back at the year that was, sharing your favs.  Check out the Event Schedule.

Today on #AMonthofFaves, we are talking about reading outside our comfort zone or surprise finds this year. 

Surprise! I don't like reading outside my comfort zone and instead, settled into a whole bunch of police mysteries or cozy mysteries. This becomes my Top Ten Tuesday (a day early) about the top mysteries I read this year. (I'm not quite ready to list my top reads of the year.)  Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. 

Oh wait. I could say my surprise read was discovering Miss Marple, who I never liked, and I refused to read back when I first discovered Agatha Christie. I was all about Poirot and the little grey cells. By waiting, I had the whole series of Miss Marple to delight in this year.

Best Police  Mysteries of 2015

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie
The first Miss Marple, and the one I think liked the best, although they were all very good. I listened on audio to nearly all the books. But maybe Caribbean Mystery or Nemesis was better? 

Cobra by Deon Meyer
A new Bennie Greisel mystery, the Johannesburg SA police officer struggling to get through one day at a time.

Gone by Mo Hayder
Skin by Mo Hayder
These two books along with Ritual form a mini trilogy within the Jack Caffrey series, forcussing on Flea Marley, a police diver.

Game of Mirrors by Andrea Camilleri
I visit Sicily each year with the latest Inspector Montalbano mystery. Always fun, always makes me hungry and want to visit Italy.

The Taken by Inger Ash Wolfe
Great Canadian mystery with the wonderful police chief, Hazel Micallef, who fits the classic model of a police officer whose own life is so messed up, but who solve crimes.

The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny
Annual visits to Three Pines and newly retired Chief Inspector Gamauche never disappoint

Murder at the Savoy by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo
Book 6 in the classic, crime series starring Martin Beck, but also providing social commentary in Sweden in the late 1960s.

Fractured by Karin Slaughter
New author! New series! Will Trent in Atlanta, former foster child works for the Georgia version of the FBI. This second book was even better than the first.