Tuesday, March 22, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY:Ten Books I Really Love But Feel Like I Haven't Talked About In A While


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Books I Really Love But Feel I Haven't Talked About In a While. Awesome topic! I looked through my books at librarything and found some that made me go - oh, that was a great book! It didn't take me very long to decide to make it all Canadian books. I enjoyed even spending the time going back and reading all the reviews I wrote for these books and remembering the love. 


Light Lifting by Alexander MacLeod
Amazing collection of short stories. Giller shortlisted. His father is Alistair MacLeod, whose collection of stories, Lost Salt Gift of Blood almost made the list as well.

The Incident Report by Martha Baille
A series of reports by a librarian, Baille impressed me with how much she said with so little.



Listen to the audio for this one to fully get the Martin Short experience. Even if you only tolerate Short, I think you will find the underlying intelligence and Canadian niceness will change your opinion of him. Classy guy (when he isn't trying to hog the spotlight!)


The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly
Set in a Burmese prison, this one is so good at showing how attitude and how you treat people is everything.

Unless by Carol Shields
I'm sure I do talk about this one a lot, but the comments on women writers and the place of women in society hasn't really changed in the almost 15 years since Shields wrote her final novel.


Great Canadian novel. Duddy is quite a character and this reminded me that there are a few more Richler novels I'd like to read. 


The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
If you run across any Margaret Laurence books in second hand stores, don't be put off by the horrendous covers her books seem to have. I read The Fire-Dwellers and the cover did not help me in picking it up, but inside, the stories and characters are so readable and relateable that you will be happy not to judge a book by its cover.


The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
A look at life in a city under siege. Just because horrendous things are happening, doesn't mean that we hear about it in North America. With all the discussions about refugees, this book would be an eye-opener about how bad life can be even if it doesn't sound bad.


The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens
Mary Gooch goes on a journey to find her husband, but you'll be surprised at what she finds instead!

(That's my click bait summary!)

Gretzky's Tears by Stephen Brunt
Brunt writes great sports book - I've also read his Bobby Orr book. 


Have you read any of these books?