Thursday, February 21, 2008

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY: Format

All other things (like price and storage space) being equal, given a choice in a perfect world, would you rather have paperbacks in your library? Or hardcovers? And why?

Paperbacks. I have small hands and hardcover are harder to hold. And I am very nearsighted, so when I read in bed, without my glasses, I have to hold the book very close to my eyes, and paperbacks are much easier for this reason. Have you ever dropped a hardcover on your face? No fun.

The only advantage to hardcover is that they are released first. I concede they are prettier, but only the ones with the cloth actually covered. I don't find the dust cover helps much and I always remove it to read the book, and then my book looks all anonymous and like I am trying to hide what I am reading. And I then I have piles of dustcovers flopping around the floor of my bedroom. But hardcovers look nicer on a shelf.

So, it's softcover to read, and hardcover to look at on shelves.

5 comments:

  1. Signature looks good! You have very practical reasons for your choice. That definitely makes it easier to answer this question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I take it you've dropped a book or two on your face? Were you falling asleep while reading? Spill it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chris - thanks for the link, it was fun

    trish - oh yes, read too late at night, and drop the book. I'm not the only one, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, a hardcover in the face is no fun. Or the dents in your leg from propping up the book because of the edges. ;-)

    I don't really mind hardcover books most of the time, but they aren't always the most portable or, as you pointed out, easy to hold. And like you, I take the dust jacket off to read--although I do put the dust jacket back on as soon as I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dropped a hardcover or two on my face. Believe me, it is no fun!


    Format

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)