Saturday, March 4, 2017

CHALLENGE: Women in Science History



Hosted by doingdewey, this looks like a great idea. And I just read Lab Girl in February - it would be a perfect book to read. However, I've found a few other books that look good. I certainly won't get all these books read this month, but it was fun looking for books about real women in science (either fictional accounts or nonfiction) and remembering some books I've already read.

My recommendations:
Galileo’s Daughter by Dava Sobel
Miss Leavitt’s Stars by George Johnson
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevaliere (novel about Mary Anning)
Lab Girl by Hope Jahren


The books I am interested in reading:

Headstrong: 52 Women Who Change Science by Rachel Swaby

Obsessive Genious: The Inner World of Marie Curie by Barbara Goldsmith
Finding Wonders: 3 Girls Who Changed Science by Jeannine Atkins
The Stargazer's Sister by Carrie Brown (fiction)
Maria Mitchell: The Soul of an Astronomer by Beatrice Gormley
The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict (fiction)
The Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt (audiobook)
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly (audiobook)



Even if I only get a couple read this month, I've got a list of books to come back to. I found this challenge at doingdewey, a blog I found last November during Nonfiction November. At that point, I was disappointed that I had read so few nonfiction books during the year. I read only 16 nonfiction books in 2016, and already I've read 16 nonfiction books in 2017. So, much better effort!

Reviewed and Read: 
1. Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science - Rachel Swaby
2. Finding Wonders: 3 Girls Who Changed Science - Jeannine Atkins