Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CHALLENGE: Once Upon a Time Update



I signed up for the journey, hoping to read one book, and I ended up reading eight. And the best part? Besides the great books? Five of them were books I've had for a long time and wanted to read.

Books I Read:
1. Waiting for Gertrude by Bill Richardson
2. The Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling
3. The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
4. The Night Wanderer - Drew Hayden Taylor
5. Pomegranate Soup - Marsha Mehran (look for the sequel)
6. Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
7. The Little Book - Seldon Edwards
8. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
and have started Charmed Life by Diana Wynne-Jones but won't finish it completely

Three were books I had read the author once before and wanted to read another. The best book was Tales of Beedle the Bard. Just an excellent, delightful read, absolutely perfect for this challenge. But I can't complain about any of the books and all were enjoyable.

New authors: Marsha Mehran, Rick Riordan, Seldon Edwards, Ransom Riggs, Diana Wynne-Jones

Two humorous Canadian authors - Bill Richardson and Drew Hayden Taylor. Everyone should read Bill Richardson. Stupidly, I watched the movie of Percy Jackson before I read the book, but the book was still good. Eventually I'll get to the other books in the series. It certainly helped me learn about my Greek gods.

I would recommend Pomegranate Soup to fans of Sarah Addison Allen. Both are whimsical and magical with strong women characters.

And for something completely different, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is not to be missed.

Here's the link where participants have been posting links to their reviews.

Thanks for hosting another round Carl!